Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Vegan Story

Post by AVN member, Jan

In my youth, before marriage and having a family I always had compassion for animals and I always felt a deep connection to them. For years, I had a shirt that stated "club sandwiches, not seals." This shirt often drew much attention and curiosity, I hoped that it would encourage people to understand the message and maybe even take action. Despite this, I had yet to make the "connection" and then, in my early forties, it all came together.

My family consists of myself, my husband Dave, our son Josh and daughter Kristin. During my kids growing years, I was concerned about additives, food coloring and preservatives in foods, especially 'quality meat.' Quality meat? What was I thinking? I recall the day that Dave bit into a burger and chipped his tooth on a piece of a bullet.  This incident sat heavy with me... how were these animals really being treated... and for my consumption?

It wasn't until years later that our lives would take a new direction that wold prove to benefit our health, the animals and the planet.

Our son Josh came home from traveling and announced he had become vegetarian. Not familiar with the term, Dave and I were concerned for Josh's health. We decided to take action and began researching the topic. Going in, we thought it would be easy to make a case to prove to Josh that being vegetarian is unhealthy.

What we found changed our lives. Reading books and researching on the Internet proved to be informative, educational and factual. Josh had also become involved with an animal activist from MA, which provided us with short undercover videos of inhumanely treated animals in the meat and dairy production industry. For the first time I saw, with my own eyes, what the mass population had never seen. Once learning of the horrible treatment of these innocent animals, I began having nightmares almost every night. I knew that I had to do more and now, nearly eleven years later, Dave and I are completely vegan and became founding members of the Albany VegNetwork (AVN). We also serve on the board and as officers of the AVN. Josh and Kristin (who are also members of the AVN) are both vegan as well - you could say that we are one big happy vegan family!

Dave and I continually attend lectures on topics regarding health, ethical concerns and the sustainability of the planet - and how they all relate to a plant-based diet. I enjoy meeting like-minded people and sharing my experiences with others. For me, a cruelty-free lifestyle is essential for my well-being and I am proud to say that have finally made the connection


No comments:

Post a Comment